Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 1: Monday, January 12, 2009

Today is the beginning. It is the beginning of the rest of my life. The beginning of the challenges I will surely face.

As I have stated, my goal is to be able to complete (not compete, please understand the difference) a 5k run. A 5k run is 3.1 miles in length and those who compete in this race often finish it in about 20 minutes or so - but I think realistically, I would look to perform the task between the 30 and 45 minute mark - which I realize is not necessarily a good time, but these are my initial goals here.

And so this is where I start my workout regime. On day 1, I walked for 2 minutes at 4 MPH and then ran 1 minute at 5 MPH. I then repeated this pattern 10 times - for a total of 20 minutes walked at 4 MPH for a distance of 1.32 miles, and a total of 10 minutes running at 5 MPH with a distance of .83 miles.

With my cool down (slowing pace from 4 MPH every 10 seconds or so) session, I finished my work out with a total of 31 minutes and 2.20 miles.

Once I was done walking/running, I picked up the dumbbell and proceeded to do a set of curls - 40 lbs. - 45 reps.

My workout was complete. I made it through, and was very happy when it was over. At least a few times, I had the thought in my mind that I should just stop - that running was way too hard for me, but I didn't, I persevered. On my 6th run (between minutes 17 and 18 of my workout) I thought my lungs were going to collapse, but a voice in the back of my head told me to keep pushing - only 20 more seconds to go. And as the 18:00 minute mark hit, and I slowed my pace, I gasped for air ... for only 20 seconds ... then I walked, at 4 MPH with a fairly normal breathing pattern and pulse rate. By the time the 20:00 mark approached, I was ready to go again ... only to have to push myself to finish that minute - and so it proceeded. I began to count down "only 3 more times I have to run" .... "only 2 more times" .... "one more time" ... and then finally, I did it. And I proved I could do it. I proved I could push through the pain - after all, each run was only a minute, and walking is easy. And so concluded day one - and I was worn down. 2 hours later, when it was time for bed, I slept as soundly as I can remember sleeping in a really long time - I was on my way to a 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment