Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 49: Thursday, May 14, 2009

Well, after being too sick to do anything on Wednesday, I managed to have enough energy to get back on the treadmill on Thursday. I started off with the same basic goal that I always have now, running for at least 10 minutes, if not 15, before slowing my pace for the first time (after the initial minute to get the the treadmill settings correct, that is). However, today, I decided to really push myself, and say that 15 minutes was not long enough. I wanted 20.

I was running at 5.5 MPH, and as I was closing in on the 15 minute mark, I decided that 20 minutes would be more suitable, and so I pushed myself. My breathing was hard, but not overly laborious, so I kept going. With about 3 minutes left, my breathing did become more shallow. With two minutes left, more shallow still - to the point where I could not catch a deep breath, no worries, it's only two more minutes. I pushed my way through what normally indicated a limitation to me - and I proved I could do it. The remainder of the 30 minutes, I only ran one additional time for only 2 more minutes - I was that run down after the initial 20 minutes straight at 5.5 MPH.

In total, I completed 8 minutes walking at 4 MPH for 0.53 miles, 22 minutes running at 5.5 MPH for 2.02 miles, and complete with cool down, I completed 31 minutes for 2.58 miles, still, not quite a 5k, but definitely a lot better than the 2.20 I averaged when I began this endeavor just a mere 4 months ago. October 24th, here I come! I will complete the 5k, and I'll feel great doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment