Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 11: Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Well, I was feeling pretty good about the prospect of working out today. I thought I felt good after, what I think was, a well deserved day off on Tuesday.

I started out by pushing pretty hard - that is to say, with the weights. I managed to curl 40 lbs. 45 times, and then did a total of 15 push ups before beginning on the treadmill.

On the treadmill, I (reluctantly, I do assure you) began with 1:45 of walking at 4 MPH, followed by 1:15 at 5 MPH, and then repeating. This is the same form I had used on Monday - a day on which I really had to push myself to complete the 30 minutes total. Today, however, had it's ups and downs.

I began my first 1:15 run with good even breaths and consistent strides, and made it through the first run fairly unscathed. Then the second, a little bit harder. I found myself telling myself - "after this third run, you'll be in good shape to finish the remainder" because I was already hurting. On the third run, I tired quickly, but I endured - 3 down, 7 runs to go.

The fourth run, was rough - I tried to focus on the music, so as not to watch the clock, and passed through. The fifth run, I focused on my breathing again, and keeping my strides constant and even - not over exertion on my part. The sixth run was easier still (this run, I have synced with my music as to where I run about 45 seconds of it under, what I find as being, an awesome guitar solo - it is synced as such, so I can have this boost of energy) - and I was surprised when I looked up, and only had 15 seconds left to run - of course, once I did look (and the guitar solo ended) I became too focused on the time, and I began to labor - but I learned from this mistake, I cannot look at the time, or the effort becomes a labor to get those final seconds to evaporate.

On my next two runs, I began counting down the "times I had left to run". But I still found myself watching the clock far too much, and thus, not focusing on my breathing or running style, and I suffered for it. On my second to last run, I made sure to focus on nothing but the music, my breathing, and my running - and before I knew it, there was only five seconds left before I could again slow my pace. The last run, I wanted to go at least 30 seconds above and beyond the "ending" 30:00 mark - and by focusing on what I was doing, rather than the time, I was able to accomplish this task - it was minimal effort to get to the 30:06 mark - but at that point, I looked at the clock, and again, the labors ensued as the countdown began - but I was able to accomplish my task.

The walking periods for this workout were quite labored as well. After each run, it took me longer and longer to regain my ideal pulse rate and breathing rhythm. But, that is why I walk, so as to have time to recover between the running. Only once, or twice, did I think about quitting altogether, a far cry from the amount I truly felt like quitting on Monday (the first time I have used this run-to-walk-ratio) - and even that thought was a fleeting one today.

In total, I walked 17:30 at 4 MPH for a distance of 1.17 miles, I ran for 13:00 at 5 MPH for a distance of 1.08 miles, and total with cool down period, I completed 32:30 with a total combined distance of 2.32 miles.

Once the treadmill was complete, I did 30 more curls at 40 lbs., 15 more push ups, and 10 squats (without any weight). After that, I felt fairly well rounded, and thoroughly exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment