Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 32: Monday, March 2, 2009

Today was my day to get back on the horse, after slacking immensely last week. All my previous cravings have been quashed, and I felt this week would be a great one. However, my workout did not go according to plan, as my body seemed to work against me.

I began by doing 60 reps of curls of the 40 lb. weight. It felt good, and my arms were groaning slightly at the activity, which is a custom of mine before getting on the treadmill - typically, I have been completing 30 reps after my treadmill activity to get to the 90 total reps I have been reporting, today, I never got to those additional reps.

I began my time on the treadmill in the traditional mode - walking at 4 MPH for 1:30 and then running at 5 MPH for 1:30 and repeating until I reach my goal of 30 minutes. Today, I only completed 15 minutes, and the strange thing is, I don't feel guilty for stopping early.

As I ran today, I began to notice the lights of the treadmill seemed brighter than usual - and they began to seriously affect my eyes. Ever time I blinked, I saw "spots" - which in my world, is a great indication of a potential onset of a migraine. I closed my eyes, but not a good idea while running on a treadmill, so I began slowing my pace - the time read 14:54 the last I read it. I slowed enough until I could manage walking comfortably enough while holding a towel over my face in order to keep the light from my eyes. Eventually, I stopped the treadmill (after increasingly slower intervals) and sat down, still holding the towel over my face. I kept this position for a few minutes before jumping in the shower.

Sure, I never did develop a migraine - but I did not want to go back to the treadmill, just in case the irritation returned. I am not exactly happy about only completing half of my time, yet, in the same breath, I am happy I was able to recognize the triggers of a potentially migraine and not force my body to continue if it was not willing. Recognition of one's body is the key to health, and migraines are included.

In all, I completed 7:30 walking at 4 MPH for 0.50 miles, running at 5 MPH of 7:30 for 0.625 miles, and total of - with cool down estimated since I did not look at the clock or miles completed after seeing the 14:54 time (near conclusion of my run leading up to the 15-minute mark) I completed a total of about 16:00 minutes for 1.16 miles.

I did complete my 60 reps of the 40 lb. weight as mentioned above.

I plan on doing my best to make up the lost time, at least, on Tuesday night - if things work in my favor with a Tuesday, which is usually jam-packed day in my world. Hopefully, I can find a moment to myself to make up the lost time.

No comments:

Post a Comment