Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 31: Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 31 - I have now entered the realm of working out over the course of three months! Something I never would have expected three months ago.

On Day 31, I decided to try to gauge "where I was at" and thus, workout slightly differently than I had previously. I had told my wife, who wants to consider running the the St. Patrick's Day 5k that I would see if my body is ready - after my workout on day 31, I feel I am not ready.

I began my treadmill workout by running - at 6 MPH. This is something I had not done yet before, but something, I felt was possible. I ran for 2 minutes, and I felt good. Some heavy breathing - but not unmanageable. My breaths were deep and cleansing, but I slowed my pace just the same, so as not to push it too hard. I walked at 4 MPH for one minute before running the next two minutes at 5 MPH. Again, my breathing became slightly labored, but not too unmanageable. I again, slowed for one minute to 4 MPH, only to pick up my pace again to 6 MPH for the duration of the next 2 minutes. And that was about the time I realized, I was not ready. My breathing was still good - deep and not hurried, but my throat began to burn, as if it was having a hard time remaining moist enough for air to pass easily. I slowed again to 4 MPH - where I remained for 5 minutes, before running at 5 MPH for the next two - I then slowed again to 4 MPH for the next 5 minutes and concluded my workout.

It started out great, but I know I am not yet ready since I only completed 20 minutes total. I felt my breathing needed the 5 minutes at walking pace just to recover. The plus side of the 20 minute run/walk, however, was that I completed over 1.5 miles - which, as I've stated previously, 1.5 miles is a LOT better than I was doing just 3 months ago! Also, on the plus side, I feel the change in routine provided sufficient shock to my body, and I was feeling it in my legs hours after the run/walk.

In total, I completed 12 minutes of walking at 4 MPH for 0.80 Miles, 4 minutes running at 5 MPH for 0.33 Miles, 4 minutes running at 6 MPH for 0.40 Miles, and so complete with cool down, I completed 1.55 miles in 21 minutes.

I did also complete 90 curls of the 40 lb. weight.

It was certainly a different workout, maybe one I can build off of. For now, I think I should go back to my normal routine in order to build my stamina. A 5k, at least at this juncture, seems unlikely for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment